The Heather Hess Haynes Medical Emergency Fund was established in 2023 and offers financial assistance to staff and their immediate families who have experienced a non-recurring sudden or emergency-related financial hardship due to an unforeseen and unavoidable medical event. This fund was created by a generous donation left by Heather in her will. Applicants who are approved for the grant may receive up to $1,250, during their employment with NYC Outward Bound Schools depending on the availability of funds.
- A life-altering serious illness or injury to yourself or an immediate family member that has caused an immediate financial hardship OR
- The death of an employee or immediate family member causes financial hardship.
Staff are defined as
- Full-Time Employees of NYC Outward Bound Schools.
- Part-Time Employees of NYC Outward Bound Schools.
- Active Seasonal Employees who have committed to work or worked more than 35 days in a season.
Immediate family for the purpose of this fund is defined as
- Legal spouse
- Domestic partner
- Legal dependent child (minor or full-time student up to 25 years of age)
- The parent or current in-law parent
Possible Expenses Covered by the Emergency Fund
- Medications, emergency medical treatment, and other financial obligations that you cannot meet due to unforeseen, life-altering serious illness or injury.
- An email to the Chief People Officer informing them of the life-altering serious illness or injury to yourself or an immediate family member that has caused an immediate financial hardship.
- To maintain confidentiality, all grant applications will be reviewed by the NYC Outward Bound Schools Human Resources Department, and their recommendations will be shared with the CEO for approval.
Who is eligible to apply for assistance from The Heather Hess Haynes Medical Emergency Fund?
All Full Time and Part Time employees of NYC Outward Bound Schools and Per Diem Employees who have committed to work or worked more than 35 days in a season.
How much can I request?
You can request up to $1,250. Funds DO NOT need to be repaid.
Can I receive support from the Fund more than once?
Yes, but the most an individual staff member can receive from the fund is $1,250 in total.
Is the information provided by applicants confidential?
Yes. Information provided by grant applicants will be treated as confidential and shared only with Human Resources and the CEO.
Is the emergency fund grant a taxable event?
Yes. This grant is considered taxable income. The total amount will be included as income on the grant recipient’s W-2 form.
How will the Emergency Fund be administered?
Please email [email protected] and include the following information:
- Your name
- Phone number
- Amount requested (up to $1,250)
- Please explain your need for this assistance