Some of the most important lessons are learned outside of the classroom.
Drawing upon Outward Bound’s nearly 80 years of preeminence in experiential education, NYC Outward Bound Schools offers a range of Adventure & Team Building programs for students and educators. These programs strengthen community, belonging, collaboration, reflection and leadership.
Take a look at our current offerings
Half-Day Community-Building: Crew Connect
This 2.5-hour program helps foster relationships among participants and create a stronger sense of belonging within and connection to their team or Crew.
Full-Day Community-Building: Community Connect
This 5-hour program builds on the half-day experience and is centered around a participant-directed learning exploration that allows students and staff to build a sense of belonging within their school community, collaborate with one another, take initiative, and exercise ownership over their learning.
Mid-Year Community-Building Check-In: Reconnect & Reflect
This 2-hour program involves activities that help participants reflect on how their team or Crew has grown and evolved together throughout the year.
This one-day workshop is for educators who are looking to bring effective, student-centered and SEL-focused community-building practices back to their own school.
Why Work With Us?
- 100% of our 2019 clients said that they would hire us again.
- 100% of our current clients answered “definitely” to the statement “Our program met our specific goals and needs.”
- Our safety record is second to none.
- All programs are can be modified based on the client’s desired outcomes.
- Our skilled course directors have extensive training in youth development and facilitation, and are experienced in designing and delivering programs that cater to the needs of each client.
- Programs are offered year-round.
- We work with students in grades 6 – 12, as well as teachers, college students, and youth workers.
Typical Participant Learning Targets:
- I can be an effective team member by participating fully in the activities to the best of my ability.
- I can share and practice the responsibilities of leadership and followership during group challenges.
- I can communicate effectively by offering my own ideas and listening to the ideas of others.
- I can build trust by relying on my group, or members of my group.
- I can reflect on my experience and think critically about how it applies to my everyday life.