- NYC Outward Bound Schools to Host Community-Building Webinar
Building Community in the Blended & Remote Learning Environment
Join us August 19 at 1 p.m. EDT
This spring, NYC Outward Bound Schools successfully supported its network of public schools by shifting in-person community-building models and practices into the virtual space. During this time of crisis and uncertainty, our staff supported teachers by implementing practices to increase engagement and connection in their classes, helping to ensure that students were safe and accounted for. On a school-by-school basis, we helped brainstorm how technology could solve new challenges, how to adapt classroom discussion protocols to a virtual learning environment, and helped develop new norms for collaboration and communication.
If you’re interested in learning more, join the NYC Outward Bound Schools’ Select Strategies team for a free, interactive webinar on Wednesday, August 19 from 1 – 2:30 p.m. EDT that will give attendees the tools to build community across blended and remote learning environments. This webinar is open to school leaders, educators, advisers and anyone who is interested in promoting community among students.
The webinar will include:
- Strategies for building classroom community both virtually and in person/in a blended learning environment
- Research on how a sense of academic belonging positively impacts student outcomes
- Interactive initiatives and discussions in Zoom breakout rooms
Attendees will also leave with a ready-to-use toolkit containing:
- Routines and structures that set the stage for success
- Community-building activities
- Access to online tools for academic engagement and discussion
The teacher-student relationships that NYC Outward Bound Schools helped us build pre-pandemic became the cornerstone of the work we did going forward.Veronica Coleman
Principal, Kurt Hahn, a NYC Outward Bound School