EdWeek's conversation with authors Joshua Steckel and Beth Zasloff on the challenges faced by low-income students getting to and through college. Steckel is a college counselor at our Brooklyn School for Collaborative Studies and the co-author of Hold Fast to Dreams.
- 95% of our 2014 graduates were accepted to college.
- 100% of our schools received top or 2nd highest rating on their Quality Review vs 58% citywide
- 72% of our students are eligible for free/reduced lunch.
Founded in 1987, NYC Outward Bound Schools has served over 60,000 students, teachers, administrators, and parents from over 300 schools and other youth-serving organizations throughout the City. Our educational approach challenges and supports students to do their best work, injects elements of adventure and discovery into schooling, grounds academic content in real-world issues and concerns, promotes teamwork as well as individual initiative, and places character and intellectual development on equal footing. For most participants, involvement with NYC Outward Bound Schools has resulted in profound learning and for many it has been transformational, helping them to recognize how much they are capable of accomplishing individually and collectively.
NYC Outward Bound Schools programs are organized into two broad categories:
1. Our Schools—a growing network of small, college-preparatory Expeditionary Learning schools that we operate in partnership with the New York City Department of Education. We provide these schools with an extensive package of services and supports aimed at promoting high quality teaching and high levels of student achievement.
2. Adventure & Team Building—customized Outward Bound programs for NYC public schools and other youth-serving organizations which are organized around the themes of teambuilding and character/leadership development. These programs enable us to reach many young people in the City who would not have access to them were we to focus exclusively on our network schools.
"This Educational Leadership Award... really goes to NYC Outward Bound, which does truly extraordinary work in the field of education."
-Governor Andrew M. Cuomo
“NYC Outward Bound, we think the world of you. We think you are outstanding: all the energy, all the work and the vision that you have -- but more importantly, your partnership with the Department of Education will allow our students to grow and prosper and be successful adults."
-NYC Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott
"NYC Outward Bound is...defying the lie, defying the myth, defying the stereotypes about what children can and cannot do."
-Arne Duncan, U.S. Secretary of Education
“When you walk through the NYC Outward Bound schools, you really do get the sense that these kids are working with very high expectations, that they really are being pushed and prepared for college in all the ways possible.”
-Adam Tucker, Senior Program Officer, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
EdWeek Conversation with NYCOBS College Counselor May 28, 2014
Metropolitan Principal Named Ed Leader in HuffPo May 6, 2014
Principal Pat Finley of our Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School was profiled as one of 11 education leaders whose lives were changed by other educators. Who changed Pat's life? Read on!
News 12 Celebrates Validus Seniors College Plans May 6, 2014
News 12 Bronx covered our Validus Preparatory Academy College Application March in December - and has now returned to see where students are heading off to college.