NYC Outward Bound Schools imagines a world where students’ complex and intersectional identities are seen, respected, and honored; a world where success is not predicated on race or skin color. This requires the transformation of inequitable structures and thinking in both schools and outdoor learning.
Our commitment to equity and antiracism ensures that young people, educators and staff are provided with the tools and support they need to thrive. We center the knowledge of those who have combated systemic inequity for multiple generations, most specifically Black and Brown communities. We partner with youth, educators and school leaders to ensure school culture, programs, and structures reflect and uphold the brilliance and freedom of youth and families. We believe in equal opportunity for all persons and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability or genetic information.
Specifically, we commit to:
- Create spaces for staff and young people to connect authentically and speak their truth
- Continuously examine our words and behavior to interrupt harmful thinking and actions
- Challenge assumptions, language, and thinking rooted in oppression and colonialism
- Boldly speak up when we witness inequality within spaces for learning and with each other
- Identify and disrupt patterns in our organization and field that reinforce systemic race based inequities
- Strengthen our capacity as a staff to practice antiracism through learning and reflection, and
- Sustain ourselves and each other with opportunities to heal, celebrate, and love