Students can continue to rock climb indoors throughout the winter months thanks to our partnerships with Brooklyn Boulders Queensbridge and The Cliffs at LIC! Rather than using NYC Outward Bound’s outdoor climbing wall, Crews of students meet at one of the local indoor gyms to learn safety protocols, how to belay, and of course, climbing techniques.
We are able to work with up to 25 students in one session, and always ensure that there are appropriate instructor-to-student ratios. This is a great opportunity for students to hone their climbing skills, challenge themselves to reach new heights, and become closer as a Crew.
- $1,000 (+ gym fees) – up to 15 students
- $1,200 (+ gym fees) – up to 20 students
- $1,400 (+ gym fees) – up to 25 students
Indoor Climbing takes place on-site at either Brooklyn Boulders Queensbridge (23-10 41st Avenue, Queens, NY, 11101) or The Cliffs at LIC (11-11 44th Drive, Queens, NY 11101).
At least three weeks prior to your program date, complete and turn in:
- NYC Outward Bound Schools’ Medical Form and Liability Release (The medical form does not require a doctor’s visit)
- Brooklyn Boulders OR The Cliffs waiver form (depending on which gym your program will use)
NYC Outward Bound Schools reserves the right to deny or restrict participation in whole to anyone who does not submit a completed form or meet the screening criteria.
Sample Learning Targets (Youth)
- I can be a good leader by offering my own ideas and listening respectfully to the ideas of others.
- I can demonstrate appropriate safety practices for rock climbing and explain some basic techniques.
- I can learn about climbing techniques.
- I can practice trust today by relying on my peers, teachers and instructors during trust-building activities and by belaying others. Through my respectful and safe behavior, I will give others reason to trust me.
- I can set a goal for myself about what I’d like to achieve at the climbing wall. I can give others permission to encourage me to go farther.
- I can reflect on my climbing experience and think critically about how it applies to my everyday life at school or home.
- Welcome! Participants arrive on-site and facilitate introductions and any necessary paperwork
- NYC Outward Bound Schools instructors take attendance and lead a quick round of icebreakers.
- Instructors fit each participant with a harness and shoes for climbing.
- Participants are split into small groups for climbing technique demos
- Crews climb, climb, CLIMB!
- Participants wrap up by sharing takeaways and debriefing
Browse our other programs:
Half-Day Community-Building: Crew Connect
This 2.5-hour program helps foster relationships among participants and create a stronger sense of belonging within and connection to their team or Crew.
Programs for Educators
We offer professional development workshops for educators learning to facilitate community-building among students, as well as staff community building experiences like rock climbing.
For more information, contact:
Badari Ambatti, Director of Client Relations
Office: (718) 706-9900 x125