Social Justice Issues Related to COVID-19 Pandemic Choice Board
Browse the below categories to find a social justice issue that speaks to you. Learn more and gather ideas about how you can help support these causes.
Fight xenophobia and racism around the origin/spread of the virus
Help combat the increase in racist and xenophobic attacks against Asian Americans.
- Racist acts against Asian Americans, a video from CNN
- Speaking up against Racism, resources from Teaching Tolerance
- How I became a person of suspicion, a Google Podcast
Spread facts and promote healthy behavior to prevent spread of COVID-19
Make sure everyone in our communities has accurate information about COVID-19.
- Grades 6-12 resources, from Scholastic Classroom Magazines
- Guide to spotting coronavirus misinformation, from Digital Trends
- Mythbusters, advice and coronavirus information, from WHO
Save youth jobs
Summer job programs in New York City have been canceled due to budget cuts.
- “Save Summer Youth Employment SYEP” campaign, from Teens Take Charge
Increase participation in the US Census
Now that face-to-face education regarding Census participation can no longer happen, online advocacy is more important than ever.
- “Everyone Counts” campaign, from the Brennan Center for Justice
Increase voter turnout
Given stay-at-home orders, voter registration efforts have gone virtual. How can you make a difference in the upcoming election?
- Resources needed to start a voter registration drive, from National Voter Registration Day
- Volunteer and leadership opportunities, from Rock the Vote
- Engage in activism related to voting rights, from the ACLU
Earth Day was April 22, but don’t limit your actions to just one day!
- “Climate Art for Congress” campaign, from The Climate Museum
- Digital Earth Day activities, from EarthDay.org
- Earth Day at home, from EarthDay.org
- 11 Actions for the Planet Now, from EarthDay.org
- Use Coronavirus to Reset Your Life for Sustainability, from Earth911
Existing inequalities are exacerbated by the virus.
- COVID-19 targets communities of color, from The Harvard Gazette
- A pandemic in the age of inequality, from the World Economic Forum
Due to the costs to New York City during the pandemic, schools are facing massive budget cuts.
Addressing mental health concerns
How can we take care of ourselves and others during these stressful times?
- Resources, from the CDC